Monday, June 9, 2008

Hi, I'm pleased to meet you!

This is me:

This is why I am going to blog about the Sobey's Urban Fresh grocery store on 104th street and Jasper Avenue in Edmonton:

  1. A lot of things could possibly happen there, and I want to be ready if they do. For example, with all of the open, garage-style doors, a bird could fly in at any time and be trapped amongst the customers. This is something that I know that people will want to read about.
  2. I like to eat food and I like to grocery shop for the food I eat. I want to document the experiences I have in a new grocery store, because becoming acquainted with a new grocery store is a complex process. The social customs, politics, economics, relationships, hardships, and triumphs that are part of coming to know a new grocery store--whether the store is just new for one customer, or is new to the whole community, as Sobey's is--are a valuable premise for personal reflection.
  3. I find the concept of people (a very specific type of people) congregating at a grocery store intriguing.
  4. I find the concept of people blogging about random things intriguing.
  5. I tend to go there a lot, so I am hoping that by blogging about it, I will feel a greater sense of purpose when I'm there, and less of the aimlessness I feel now.

In my next post I will begin to divluge the more specific aspects of this Sobey's; the things that make it have a special place in my heart, and the things the cause me great concern for the future.

Okay, well, it is nice to have introduced myself.





2 comments:

Drew said...

oh! i really like the idea of this blog, even tho i do not use sobeys for political reasons, but i am turned off by the formality. could use possibly use dashes "-" or another icon instead of numbers for your bullet points? maybe you could create a little "food" icon.

Anonymous said...

oh boy do i like this blog!