Saturday, November 1, 2008

A New Location & Flaky Cereal





Hello Friends.

I am back, and ready to explore the world of Sobey's Urban Fresh once again.  I have been inspired by the opening of the new location near the university campus, and also my good friend A.M. Stein's discovery of another Edmonton food-lovers blog (A.M., I've lost the link, so could you please post it?  Thanks love).

I visited the new location about a week ago, to meet a friend for coffee (and to give her keys back, because I was babysitting her kitty).  The area to sit and have coffee is casual, and I imagine that if I were a student I might go there to study.  Obviously, it is no "large, open, kitchen-feel", and has no sense of "a community coming together to share food" that we have all missed dearly.  I am trying to simply ignore that this Sobey's has destroyed the beautiful energy of the organic store before it.  I can't go there right now.

After coffee, I did a bit of grocery shopping.  I bought a red pepper, some kicking horse coffee because it was on sale for ten dollars, some grainy crackers, a jar of red pepper jelly, a jar of pre-made curry, a block of cheese, half of a dozen of organic eggs, and some bagels.  I was disappointed to find out that they don't carry the selection of chocolate that the downtown location does, so I didn't get any chocolate.  I did check out the 'salt bar', which seems to be an assortment of salts that can be purchased in bulk.  The salt is from a variety of regions around the world, and there are descriptions of the healing properties and recipe suggestions for each salt.  I think I will try some soon, because I'm all over any type of salt-healing-crystal-magic.  

I need to head to the downtown sobey's today, for yogurt and granola.  If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend Dorset Cereal.  I first bought this at a London Drugs about a year ago (side note: london drugs usually carries a lot of organic groceries at a really reasonable price.  I am not sure why, but it does).  This flaky granola is way above all others, and sobey's has the best selection I've found.  It is expensive, about eight dollars a box I believe, but it is worth it.  In fact, last Christmas I bought a box of this cereal for my dad and wrapped it up with his present!  The slogan on the box is "honest, tasty, and real" which I think is pretty adorable, and they even have a neat website.  I wish I could find the rest of the products they make because I am pretty sure this could be a new addiction for me.    
See?  Aren't the boxes so cute?  I promise you'll love it. 

Love grocery crush

2 comments:

A. M. Stine said...

The new Edmonton area blog we love is www.onlyhereforthefood.com. So good! I love that your getting back into blogging Grocery Crush! I've missed you!

Side note: My friend Sean brought Dorset Cereal on our all-guys camping and fishing trip (except me). We could NOT stop making fun of him from bringing organic cereal. Everyone else brought steak. Including me.

Grocery Crush said...

Thanks Allie, I'll add the link to this blog.

Sean sounds like a smart man.